Every person at some time or another gets gases and disturbances in the colon. Flatulence, or passing gas, is a common complaint, caused by a buildup of excess gas in the gastrointestinal tract. Bloating, which is a feeling of fullness in the abdomen, can make you uncomfortable. You may experience sharp pains and rumbling noises in abdomen. Most cases of bloating and flatulence are due to food, particularly foods such as cabbage and beans, which produce gas during digestion. Eating too fast can also cause excessive gas. Certain people find that milk, food additives, or wheat flour can produce symptoms. Sometimes, bloating and flatulence are due to a bowel disorder such as irritable bowel syndrome.
Flatulence & Bloating Symptoms
- Passing gas or wind.
- Bloating, abdominal pain.
- Cramps and spasms in the stomach.
Home Remedies for Flatulence & Bloating
- Ginger and lime: Take 1 teaspoon of grated ginger mixed with 1 teaspoon of lime juice immediately after eating.
- Lemon and baking soda: Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda into 1 cup cool water. Drink it, right after meals.
- Ginger, asafoetida and rock salt: In 1 cup of warm water, add 1/2 tsp of dry ginger powder, a pinch of asafoetida and a pinch of rock salt. This mixture serves as an excellent home remedy for flatulence.
- Peppermint: Chewing peppermint serves as an effective fart home remedy treatment, as it contains menthol that aids in treating the problem of flatulence.
- Honey and cinnamon: Take one tablespoons of honey with 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder will relieves the gas problems.
- Fennel seeds: Chew one-half teaspoon of fennel seeds. Fennel helps to dissipate gas by relaxing muscle spasms in the digestive tract.
Do’s for Flatulence & Bloating
- Eat and drink slowly, and chew food thoroughly.
- Try to identify and cut down on any foods that cause problems.
- To alleviate gas pressure in lower abdomen, try this simple exercise. Lie on your back with knees bent. Then alternatively raise each knee toward chest until feel relief.
- Exercise regularly.
Don’ts for Flatulence & Bloating
- Avoid carbonated drinks and alcoholic beverages, chewing gum, smoking, and the artificial sweeteners.
- Avoid foods that cause gas, such as beans, cabbage, cauliflower, onions, garlic, radishes, broccoli, sprouts.
- Avoid spicy and raw foods.
- Avoid cold food and drinks.
- Have other bowel symptoms such as constipation, diarrhea, blood in stools, nausea, vomiting, or continual or recurrent abdominal pains.
- Flatulence and bloating persist after 2 weeks or new symptoms develop.
- Call emergency services immediately if: Gas or indigestion that occurs with crushing or squeezing chest pain, feels like a heavy weight on the chest.
★★ Get our FREE Mobile app, Recommended by 90+ Doctors. Stay Healthy! ★★