Obesity is the accumulation of excessive amount of fat in the body. The fat may be equally distributed all over the body, or found in certain areas such as stomach, hips or thighs. One way of checking whether you are overweight or not is to calculate your body mass index (BMI). Body mass index is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that is applicable to adults. It is calculated by dividing your weight in kilograms (kg) by your height in meters (m) squared.
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
Overweight = 25–29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
Obesity can be due to unhealthy diet, irregular meals, overeating, and sedentary lifestyle. Also, there are genetic, behavioral and hormonal influences on body weight. Rarely, it is due to some disorders such as Cushing’s syndrome.
Obesity isn’t just a cosmetic concern, it rapidly increases the risk of serious condition such as heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure and diabetes. In addition to physical risks, being overweight can cause several psychological problems, such as poor self-esteem which can lead to eating more food.
Dietary changes, increased physical activity and behavior changes work for you in the long run.
Symptoms of Obesity
- Excess body fat particularly around the stomach, hips and thighs
- Shortness of breath
- Lack of energy
- Sore joints or muscles
Home Remedies for Obesity
- Diet: There is no best weight-loss diet. Choose the diet that includes healthy foods, which you feel will work for you. However, studies have suggested that for some overweight people — high protein, low carbohydrate diet is good and for some low fat, low protein , high complex carbohydrate diet do well. Include low glycemic, and non-processed foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains. Research indicates that focusing on the low glycemic index promotes weight loss.
- Exercise: Exercise is one of the most important parts of any weight loss program. Do 30-45 minutes of aerobic exercise daily. This may be in the form of brisk walk, swimming, biking. In addition, lift weight three times a week to lose fat. Recent studies show that lifting weight at 80% capacity with fewer repetitions is more effective for weight loss than multiple repetition light weight lifting. If you are extremely out of shape or having serious health problems, consult doctor before starting an exercise regime.
- Green tea: Consume 3-4 cups of green tea a day or take a green tea extract labeled as a catechin or EGCG content to promote metabolism of fat which can lead to weight loss. Also, green tea has shown some success in suppressing the appetite and carbohydrate metabolism. People with high blood pressure should be cautious as green tea may increase blood pressure. Also, green tea may lead to insomnia or jitteriness in high doses.
- Honey: Take 1 tablespoon of honey in a cup of warm water first thing in the morning. Honey is packed with many amino acids, vitamins and minerals which benefit the body’s metabolism and it also reduces cardiovascular strain.. By regulating the function of the metabolism, food is utilized properly, and fat is converted into usable energy. It is one of the effective way of stimulating weight loss.
- Lemon: Add 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a cup of warm water and drink it in the morning. Honey which is loaded with many amino acids, vitamins and minerals when taken along with lemon juice which rich in Vitamin-C, increases liver function and fat metabolism. This mixture also acts as a detoxification and quick slimming.
- Cinnamon: Add one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and one tablespoon of honey in one cup of warm water. Thoroughly mix these ingredients and drink it on an empty stomach. Cinnamon helps regulate blood sugar levels and when combined with the metabolism power of honey, acts as a powerful boost to weight loss efforts.
- Apple cider vinegar: Drink one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed in a glass of water. Apple cider vinegar speed up the body metabolism and it also controls appetite. Apple cider vinegar is one of the most powerful detoxifying agents that helps to cleanse the entire digestive system.
- Curry leaves: Eat 10-15 fresh curry leaves daily. Curry leaves have the richest source of carbazole alkaloids such as koenigine, mahanimbine that has anti-obesity and lipid-lowering effects.
- Cabbage: Add cabbage in the form vegetable juices, and salads for effective weight loss. Cabbage is considered as a negative calorie food as it is very low in calorie and rich in fiber. It is believed that it takes more calories to digest than the calories actually found in cabbage.
Do’s for Obesity
- Make healthy choices, eat more plant-based foods, such as fruits, vegetables and whole-grain.
- Include cucumber, squash, pumpkin, radish, tomatoes, celery, ginger, onion, pears, mushrooms, corn, mung beans, oatmeal, salmon, blueberries, avocado, oranges, and dark chocolate.
- Keep a food diary to encourage yourself to eat fewer calories and thus lose weight. Food diaries are most helpful when you look back and review what you wrote.
- Eat 2-3 servings of vegetables a day to obtain the nutrients and fiber which is deficient in most of the obese people.
- Replace all sugar with honey.
- Always eat breakfast which will help keep your blood-sugar levels steady and hunger pangs at bay.
- Eat small meals throughout the day rather than two or three big meals to keep metabolism strong.
- Eat slowly and chew your food properly which will help you feel full.
- Make sure you eat enough protein every day. Whole grains with legumes, fish, lean organic meat provide adequate protein.
- Eat a diet according to your body type rather than focusing on calorie intake. For some overweight people — high protein, low carbohydrate diet is good and for some low fat, low protein , high complex carbohydrate diet do well.
- Drink 10-12 glasses of water a day to flush out toxins and to keep yourself hydrated.
- Increase physical activity or exercise. To boost your activity level, exercise for 30-40 minutes daily.
- Make sure you sleep well during the night. Sleep deprivation leads to an increase in the secretion of the hormone cortisol, which triggers fat storage.
- Manage stress level by practicing deep breathing exercise, and meditation. The release of the cortisol hormone during stress increases appetite which contribute to weight gain.
Don’ts for Obesity
- Avoid drastic changes in diet, such as crash diets, as they are not that helpful to keep excess weight off for the long term.
- Avoid fatty, greasy foods, sweets, white chocolate.
- Avoid full-fat milk, carbonated drinks, alcohol and caffeinated beverages.
- Avoid white flour, white rice, and baked foods which all contributes to weight gain.
- Do not get tempted by fad diets that promise fast and easy weight loss. There are no magic foods or quick fixes.
- Do not eat heavy meals at night. Also, do not eat your dinner too late and avoid going to sleep immediately after dinner.
- Do not skip meals. Skipping meals can negatively impact your blood sugar level, metabolism and energy level.
- Avoid diet drinks and foods which are a rich source of artificial sweeteners and chemical flavorings.
- Avoid convenient and trans fatty acids which often include chemical ingredients that have a negative effect on the body.
- Do not watch television during a meal as it can lead to overeating.
- Don’t expect to lose several pounds within a few days.
- If you are extremely out of shape or having serious health problems.
- If you have any psychological problems.
★★ Get our FREE Mobile app, Recommended by 90+ Doctors. Stay Healthy! ★★